Sunday, May 24, 2009

Thoughts on Kobe


I shouldn't be in awe because I've seen him do it so many times, but when Kobe Bryant hit that deep three pointer from the left wing over J.R. Smith last night, I couldn't help but jump for joy. A night after LeBron James hit a game-winner at the buzzer, Kobe obviously had to show him up — and he didn't fail.

Now, the Lakers clearly have an edge up in the series. Aside from being up 2-1, they stole two games from the Nuggets because Denver made bonehead plays. Say what you will about how the Nuggets have the ability to beat L.A., but when it's all said and done, the Lakers are much smarter than the Nuggets.

For example, I noticed (as I'm sure everyone has) that J.R. Smith loves to shoot, even when nothing is going in. He made a lucky three pointer over Sasha, then made one of several stupid plays for Denver — he jawed at Vujacic, prompting a technical foul and taking some momentum away from the Nuggets.

Again, with the passing. I don't understand why the Nuggets can't draft up a play to get the ball inbounded to...well anybody. That's the second time this series that they effectively blew a game because they were incapable of doing something as simple as inbounding a pass.

But more importantly, the Lakers started making smarter decisions in the fourth quarter of game three. Instead of keeping the ball around the perimeter, they stuck it in to Pau Gasol, who scored eight points in the fourth, dominating Chris Andersen and Nene, who was in foul trouble.

And, when all else fails, Kobe Bryant was there to save the day. Again. He may not have been as flashy as LeBron was the other night, but after the game, I thought that was one of the best performances Kobe has ever had. For one of the first times since Shaq's departure, I really feel that Kobe knows the capabilities of his teammates, and finally trusts the players around him.

OK, but will the Lakers win the series? I think so, but I can't really say. The way these playoffs are going, anything coul happen. I expect them to lose game four from sheer fatigue, but I hope I'm proven wrong. With Kobe, you never know, and if role players like Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza keep playing as well as they have been, it should be a good showing for the Lake Show.

0 comments:

Post a Comment